I was on Facebook today after the announcement for Facebook Timeline for business pages, looking for good examples and what early brands were up to when I came across a message from Red Bull's page on my stream.
A couple of hours out of the gate and Red Bull already has a best practice! Using a scavenger hunt type of game to get people to explore and look deeper into their new timeline. I'm intrigued...So I visit their page.
Holy crap! I love it :) This will be fun for brands. Here is what pops out:
1. That big picture! What a great opportunity for branding. Look out for some fun stuff from brand here.
2. App presentation is about 5 billion times better than the previous design and more graphical as well.
3. They give your friends that like the brand some pretty hefty screen time. I wonder if my friend's posts will be weighted more, making them more visible to me on the timeline?
4. The "bookmark" is a great way to highlight certain posts. This is PERFECT for when your brand is having a contest or has a bigger piece of content that they want to highlight over time. It only lasts a week, but this insures that certain messaging won't be lost in the stream.
5. The timeline. This allows brands to tell their story through posts, videos, and other media. This is really cool. More on this below.
The Red Bull brand story is a good one and though I didn't see it as in depth as it may be in the future, I was impressed by them putting at least one post in each year since they were established in 1987.
The historic posts are great. The fact that you can embed any piece of media like you can in any post, is great. The ability to use pics and video to add weight to your story is fantastic!
Overall I'm really impressed and excited to see how brands utilize this new creative outlet for their pages. Hoping to see a lot of creativity since Facebook has opened the doors wide open for brands to tell their story.
Haven't had a chance to jump into admin mode yet, but will share my thoughts as soon as I do. Really interested in how an admin can orchestrate all of this.
Bravo to all the Red Bull peeps too for rolling out with a great representation of the new Timeline for Pages.
My love for the Red Bull brand should be no secret here on the blog. They taught me much of what I believe in when it comes to branding and CPG marketing while I worked there and what they've done with their community on Facebook of now over 27 million fans.
The secret to Red Bull's success through social media is that there isn't a secret. They've always been hyper focused on their communities and have been content creators before creating content was cool. They spent untold money on amazing events and videos before there was even a way for these things to be shared and spread. They won a long time ago. Dialog with the customer was part of their DNA from 1987. We can learn a lot by watching them...stepping off of my box now.